�· gold coast
�· great barrier reef
�· hunter valley
�· melbourne & victoria
�· north queensland
�· northern territory
�· nsw coast
�· port douglas
�· queensland islands
�· qld central coast
�· south australia
�· sunshine coast
�· western australia
�· car rentals
�· new zealand
�· cook islands
�· fiji islands
�· all europe hotels
�· united kingdom
budget new zealand insurance details
Motor Vehicle Insurance is included in the Budget Rent a Car rates. The following details the terms of the Insurance standard
Type Of Cover
Fully comprehensive, covering the motor vehicle at all times during the rental period and also covering the hirer's liability to other parties arising from use of the vehicle.
Budget's Vehicle - Market value
Third Party Liability - NZ$250,000.
An excess is payable by the hirer for each and every accident which results in loss or damage to Budget's vehicle or damage to Budget's vehicle or damage to a third party vehicle resulting from an accident with Budget's vehicle.
- New Zealand legislation (from 1 April 2023) allows for an unlimited excess on damage to Budget's vehicle. Budget currently limits this excess (where not waivered for some vehicles by prior arrangement).
- New Zealand legislation (also from 1 April 2023) does not require New Zealand rental car companies to provide any coverage for third party damage as part of their vehicle insurance. Budget has retained the previous NZ$250,000 cover under normal insurance cover.
Policy And Rental Agreement Restrictions
Budget's rental agreement includes all the relevant insurance policy exclusions and conditions, together with the hirer's obligations (particularly noting any specific roads unable to be driven on). Breach of the terms, conditions and obligations of the rental agreement may result in the hirer being liable for loss of or damage to Budget's vehicle or to any third party vehicle, and for any consequent loss of revenue suffered by Budget.
Following is a brief outline of the major exclusions, conditions and obligations.
- The vehicle must be driven only by the authorised drivers, and insurance cover is only provided during the period of hire as outlined in the hire agreement.
- The vehicle must be maintained during the period of the hire by the hirer in a fully working and roadworthy condition.
- The hirer shall ensure the vehicle is securely locked at all times when not in use.
- The driver or person in control of the vehicle must not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- The vehicle must not be operated in any race, speed test, reliability test or used for pacemaking.
- The authorised drivers must hold a current driver's license for the type of vehicle being driven, and they must only drive within the terms of that driver's license.
- The vehicle must not be driven or used willfully or recklessly in a manner likely to cause damage.
- The following vehicles (including four wheel drive vehicles) must not be driven or used on the following roads or places:-
- Ball Hutt Road, Otago (Mount Cook)
- Skippers Canyon Road, Otago
- Ninety Mile Beach, Northland
- The Coast Road to Russell, Northland
- All roads north of Colville on the Coromandel Peninsula
- The Tapu to Coroglen road (all parts east of the Water Gardens, Rapauru)
- The 309 Road from Coromandel to Kaimarama
- The Blackjack Road between Kuaotua and Opito.
- The hirer shall not allow the vehicle to carry fare-paying passengers, nor sublet the vehicle to any other party.
- The hirer must stop the vehicle if directed to do so by the Police or any other Government Authority.
- The vehicle must not be used to tow any other vehicle.
- The vehicle must not be driven on any unformed road or beach.
In the event of an accident or damage to a vehicle, Budget Rent A Car reserves the right to terminate the hire immediately and take possession of the vehicle. A refund for the remainder of the terminated hire will be made, once the client has made a claim through Travel Online.
Motor vehicle insurance is included in Budget Rent a Car New Zealand's wholesale net rates. This insurance is subject to an insurance excess of NZ$1,500 (plus GST). In case of an accident the client is liable for the amount of the insurance excess.
Budget offers the following protection package:
Budget Protection Plan (BPP)
The Budget Protection Plan is complete and easy. For NZ$15.00 +GST per day your customer may purchase the Budget Protection Plan. This is purchased at the time of car collection, and does not need to be pre-booked. Budget Protection Plan reduces the vehicle excess from NZ$1,500 + GST to $150 + GST, and also includes personal accident insurance, personal effects cover, loss of keys replacement cover and a guaranteed replacement vehicle in the event of an accident (providing the hirer does not breach the terms and conditions of the rental agreement).
Personal Accident Insurance (included in BPP)
As a service to Budget customers the Budget Protection Plan includes Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) to provide additional ease of mind. Occupants of the vehicle are covered by Budget's PAI policy. The insurance cover is available to persons aged 15 to 70 years at the time of accidental death or personal injury.
Compensation to the occupants injured whilst using a Budget vehicle covers:
|Loss of one or more arms, one limb or eye
|Temporary total disablement (up to 52 weeks)
||NZ$20 per week*
|NOTE - the aggregate limit of any one claim is NZ$100,000.
- Violation of the terms and conditions of the rental agreement
- Mental unsoundness of the insured persons
- Self-inflicted injury
- Known pre-existing illness
- Racing or pace-making
- Accidents on board an inter-island ferry
- Injury or death of hitchhikers
- Disease or childbirth.
Single Vehicle Accident
A Single Vehicle Excess of $1500 + GST applies for Trucks, Utes and 4WD categories.
Personal Effects Cover (included in BPP)
As a special service to our customers, Budget includes Personal Effects Cover (PEC) which is offered in the Budget Protection Plan. With Budget PEC all vehicle occupants are covered for damage to or theft of your bags, personal effect etc (see policy for more details). The maximum amount of coverage per claim is $5,000 with a $25 excess per claim, provided you:
a) have taken all reasonable precautions for the packaging, safety and supervision of any item(s);
b) do not leave any item(s) unattended in a public place.
Exclusions to PEC coverage are:*
- Excess of $25
- The claim is a result of wilful misconduct
- Claim is for cash
* Further details are available on request.
UNDERWRITER - American International Underwriters.